Rockville, MD — 01 October 2015 – Automated Precision Inc. (API) announced today the release of the newest accessory for the Omnitrac 2 laser tracker – vProbe. The vProbe’s wireless technology syncs perfectly with API’s Omnitrac 2 Laser tracker.
The vProbe is a 6 Degree of Freedom (6DoF) contact probing option available immediately for the Omnitrac 2 Laser Tracker. It is an evolution of the cutting-edge technology that debuted in the i360 line of products.
The i360 revolutionized portable metrology by offering an all-in-one probing and scanning solution for large-volume measurement. The vProbe continues this innovation by combining multiple measurement practices into one easy-to-use contact probing device. The hidden-point measurement function allows the operator to measure inside and behind objects, reducing the number of tracker moves necessary to complete the measurement. Downtime is significantly reduced because the operator does not need to make as many trips between the tracker and the part.
Innovation Driven by Customers
vProbe development initially began after the launch of the Omnitrac 2 Laser Tracker (OT2). Customers in confined areas or measuring complex parts asked for a probing solution that would integrate with the OT2 tracker.
“We felt that the OT2 demonstrates ultimate portability in contact metrology” says Product Manager Zach Ryan, “and our customers agreed that a lightweight probing solution would further supplement the simplicity and portability of the OT2.”
The vProbe has more advanced integration features than other systems.
- True Wireless Portability – The vProbe / Omnitrac 2 integrated system uses wireless technology allowing true portability of the device. The integrated battery is capable of operating for up to 6 hours on a single charge. Set-up, tear down, or relocate the tracking.
- Long Range Measurement – The vProbe boasts a large operating range of 80 meters. With integrated wireless technology vProbe operates over distances that other systems cannot.
- Dynamic Scanning – vProbe’s dynamic scanning capability provides instant coordinate feedback, allowing the operator to take measurements faster than competing systems.
- Compact Design – The vProbe has a lightweight design and fits with the Omnitrac 2 in a single carrying case, making transportation easier than ever.
- Ergonomic – With vProbe’s design and easy-hold grip, it can be operated for longer periods of time with greater agility.
- Flexibility – Dual stylus locations, easy indicator lights, and a stylus toggle switch makes measurements with the vProbe quick and convenient. Easily measure inside, behind, or the side of an object.
Lighter and Easier to Handle, the Next Step in Handheld Probing
The vProbe weighs just 1.5lbs, making this generation the lightest handheld probing solution offered by API to date. As with the i360, the vProbe provides a full 360° roll to achieve any measurement orientation. This maneuverability can be critical to getting accurate measurements of hidden angles or cavities where traditional measuring tools and trackers cannot easily reach. The vProbe provides the highest accuracy yet in an API probing solution, with as low as 55 microns1 of volumetric 3D error, a 25% improvement over the IP360 wireless probe. The range of measurement remains a key feature of the product as it can be used up to 50 meters from the laser tracker out of the box and up to 80 meters from the laser tracker with optional range-boosting technologies. Existing styli from the I-360 line can be used with the vProbe with no modification, and the vProbe enhances the operation by offering a simplistic stylus toggle to switch between the two stylus locations.
Automated Precision Inc. (API) is a worldwide leader in metrology. Founded 1987 by Dr. Kam Lau, API develops, designs, maintains and sells modern, laser based metrology and sensor systems for applications in manufacturing as well as systems to improve performance of machines and inspection of machine tools.
For questions regarding vProbe development, contact firstname.lastname@example.org OR:
Senior Product Manager
15000 Johns Hopkins Drive
Rockville, MD 20850Phone: 240.268.0400 ext. 1908
15000 Johns Hopkins Drive
Rockville, MD 20850Phone: 240.268.0400 ext. 1106
Automated Precision Inc. Tel.: (800) 537-2720